Thursday 12 July 2007

A good day

I had a day off from the day job today and I managed to fit quite a bit in.
There were a few things that needed doing, a quick trip to the supermarket which those of you that read my previous blog about how I feel about supermarket shopping will appreciate was a trial for me. Then there was a wizz round with the hoover, 2 loads of washing and some ironing and I even made pizza from scratch (I made the base and everything.)
Then on top of all that domesticity I did the following literary tasks.
1. Submitted a letter to The Guardian.
2. Submitted a short story to Shortalk.
3. Submitted a short story to The Weekly News
and last but by no means least
4. Submitted my novel to an agent.
On the downside though, a story that I sent to the DC Thomson central submission department was rejected. I actually think the story is good but maybe just the wrong market. I'm consoling myself that a few of the stories I've sold had been rejected by the first editor I sent them to. I'm not sure I like central submission departments, it seems impersonal but if that's the way they want it I guess I'll have to get used to it. I've had to get used to worse things in the past.

2 comments:

Quillers said...

Good luck with all those submissions! A lot of us have stopped bothering with DC Thomson central fiction and gone back to subbing directly to magazines, and My Weekly have stopped using them as readers. So it might be a good idea to look at which magazine it might fit and send it straight to them.

Colette McCormick said...

I much prefer subbing direct to an editor so I think I'll stick to that. If they want me to use the central fiction dept instead I'm sure they'll tell me. Thanks for the update on My Weekly - didn't know that.