Sunday 18 November 2007

Targeting Markets

I've been working on non fiction projects more recently. I think that there are two reasons for this. Firstly I tend to write about whatever takes my fancy on any given day and sometimes that is something other than what goes on in the fantasy land that is my brain. And secondly the market is much greater. So if I want to earn a second or better still primary living from writing I have to target that greater market as well. I've only had a couple of successes in the past in non fiction but there was a time when that was all I'd had in fiction. We all have to start somewhere and if you're at the bottom of a ladder there is only one way to go. I don't expect and don't aim to be a Pulitzer Prize winning journalist but it would be nice to be able to see a few bits in print. When I setting myself targets for 2008 (is it really only 6 weeks til Christmas?) I'm going to have a non fiction section for the first time.

No comments: