Thursday, 29 November 2007

The Right Title

I had a story published recently called "What's in a Name?" and when it comes to short stories, the answer is probably a lot.
Finding the right title for a story is a constant challange for me. Afterall the first part of your story that an editor sees is the title and they have to be grabbed by it. The last thing that I want for my story is a bland title. If you see a dull title. If they see dull title they might assume dull story.
The title isn't everything but it is plenty. I have had previously rejected stories accepted and the only thing that I have changed is the title. I guess that speaks for itself.
sally had an entry on her blog about this the other day so if you haven't already seen it pop over there.

2 comments:

womagwriter said...

But then again, some magazines change the titles of stories, so all your hard work thinking of the perfect title is wasted!

I sold one to TAB where I just couldn't think of a decent title at all, so gave it a really naff one which actually gave away half the plot. It's not been published yet but I'm looking forward to seeing what they retitle it as!

I agree though, a good title will help catch an editor's eye, and can be half the battle.

Gonna be a writer said...

You'll have to let us know when your story is published so we can look out for it.