Sunday 16 March 2008

2 stories.

I've written two short stories this week. One of them is a ghost story which I have never written before so that was fun and the other one is...to be honest I don't remember what the other one was but I do remember doing it. It's still in the pocket of the jacket I wore to work that day so I'll need to go and have a look to remind myself. I'll do it later though because I'm very comfortable where I am with my feet up on the end of the sofa and the laptop on my knee.
I've also been working on my screenplay experiment and I believe that the first planning stage is now completed. It's proving more difficult than I thought it would be.
On a different note I have just realised that it is 6 weeks since I invoiced a magazine for some work that they published and I still haven't been paid. I think I'll give them this week and then politely send them another one. It is quite a lot of money so I could certainly use it.
Just going back to the two stories that I wrote, I was thinking the other day that I don't think I edit as much as a lot of you out there do. I tend to write the first draft in longhand with a pen and paper. Edit as I type it up and then maybe tweak it a bit before sending it off. maybe that's where I'm going wrong.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, ghost stories. I like those but find them very difficult to write. Either plain not scary or just too cheesy. How do you do it?

I don't think there's necessarily a right way to draft and edit. It'll work differently for different authors.

You might consider getting one or more proof readers as a final quality check on your work. There was an interesting discussion on novel racers about this (in case you haven't already seen it).

Moondreamer said...

Keep writing, Gonna Be, keep loving it ...

Having read your blog for a while, I'm amazed you think you're "going wrong!" You are obviously doing something very right!

Sometimes we can edit things too much, I think.

:o)

Karen said...

I don't know - I think I over-edit these days. The stories I've had the most success with have been the ones I've messed about with the least!
I've never written a ghost story either, but that's because I scare easily :o)

Colette McCormick said...

It was my first attempt at a ghost story and to be honest I'm not sure how well it has worked. Like the captain said they are very difficult to write and I don't know if I got it right. It is still in it's first draft form so I guess I'll have another look at it.