Thursday 8 July 2010

Being realistic.

How's this for prolific blogging - twice in one day.
So anyway, here's what's on my mind. Remember the project that I said might not have the legs? Well I've been giving it a lot of thought and I'm not sure it would work the way that I wanted it to. You see, it was based on something that I thought I had started i.e. a screenplay. Some of you may remember me harping on about it a life-time ago. So I was going through said screenplay the other day trying to get inspiration and before I knew it I'd read it all and realised that I'd actually completed the first draft. As a screenplay I can see it very clearly. I can see the things happening in my head. Sadly I'm not getting the same feeling from the prose experience. I think it may be because to try and convey what I want to say in words is just that, a lot of words and not much dialogue to move the thing forward. So for now anyway, I'm going to stick to the screen play version.
Anybody know what you do with one of them?

8 comments:

Flowerpot said...

Well I would defnitely stick with the screenplay version if that's what is working for you. Sorry - was that the question?

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

I once read a terrific book about romcom screenplays - Writing The Romantic Comedy by Billy Mernit. There's a link to his blog (Living the Romantic Comedy) on my bloglist.

XX

joanne fox said...

I've never attempted a screen play. I did try writing a radio play once, though it has since been lost in many house moves and clearouts - which is probably a blessing!

Colette McCormick said...

Yes FP that was part of the question and you're right if that's what works for me then I shouldn't worry too much about making it work as prose.
Suzanne - that was the other part of my question and I'm going to look up that book.
Joanne - I once tried writing a radio play but I only got as far as the title.

Karen said...

Oh I've got the book Suzanne mentions and it's fantastic - works really well for novel-writing too.

I don't have any experience with screenplays, but wish you lots of luck with it :o)

Colette McCormick said...

Thanks karen and I'm going to see if I can get my hands on a copy.

Leigh Russell said...

I'm guessing you could look in the Writers and Artists Yearbook which lists every agent and publisher in the UK. I seem to recall it lists publishers of screen plays as well as fiction and non-fiction, but you'd need to check that.
I found my own publisher in the Writers and Artists Year Book, and haven't looked back since.

Colette McCormick said...

That sounds like a very good idea Leigh - thanks. I think it still needs a bit of work but I'll give it a go when its ready.