Sunday 7 March 2010

Nothing in particular

Let us imagine that we have one and a half hours a day, five days a week to write. On addition to this you can also on one of those days fit in a three hour spell. It's not a lot but its all there is so deal with it (as my good friend that shall remain nameless said rather heartlessly I thought.) Anyway bck to the point - how would you spend that one and a half hours to get the most out of them. The answer is not "write" because - well just because its not.
Oh this is the question that I ask myself all the time. Its not a lot of time but it is "time" and I'm constantly trying to work out the best way of using it.
I've had a productive spell this morning. I've given two stories a final polish and submitted them. Well one by email and I'll post the other in the morning. I have also rescheduled into my diary all of the things that I haven't got round to doing yet. And to think that at one point at the beginning of February I announced to the world that I was ahead of the game and all my self imposed deadlines met. That didn't last long did it?
Does a rhetorical question need a "?"?
I also had an idea for book 2 yesterday which really should be book 3 because i have already started NMBK. However I think that this one would tie in much better with BTL and so might be a better prospect. All I have to work out now is if the story had enough legs to get to 80,000 words and if I am up to the job.
I think that my problem is that I spread myself a bit thin and try lots of different things without really concentrating on anything. But when I think of myself as "a writer" (metaphorically speaking beause I never actually think of myself like that) I think that I am just that. I don't want to be a "novelist" or a "short story writer" or a "travel writer" - I want it all. Oh my goodness was that ever the start of a slippery slide?
You've probably noticed that I am rambling but the truth is that when I'm blogging I imagine that I am with you and just talking to you so the words come out like that which is why they aren't always in the right order. But I'm sure if you were here with me at least one of you would have told be to shut up and go and put the kettle on so that's what I'll do.
Tea or coffee anyone?

5 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Tea, please.

I want it all, too. And you've described exactly how I feel - perhaps I should stop wasting time and concentrate on one thing and do that properly...

Fingers crossed for the two story subs.

XX

Paula RC said...

Wow, after reading your posting I need a cupper. Cake or biscuits to go with it?

Colette McCormick said...

I know what you mean Suzanne. I am so easily distracted and know that I need to concentrate more.
Jarmara I never need an excuse for a cuppa. And in answer to your question - biscuits usually but cakes now and then.

Sheila Norton said...

Nothing wrong with wanting it all, Colette - as long as we all realise we might only get some of it in the end!! I prefer to think of myself as a 'writer' too. It's too self-limiting to describe yourself just as a 'novelist' or whatever. If I submit a short story to a new market and describe myself as a novelist the editor might think 'So what's she doing sending me a short story?' and presume I don't know how to write one! (She might be right but I don't have to encourage that line of thought!). Tea, no milk, for me by the way if you're still serving!

Colette McCormick said...

I'll make a fresh pot Olivia.